Andrew Jackson Cottage and US Rangers Centre

4 star Museum
Located less than a mile from the Town Centre, off the Larne Road, the Andrew Jackson Cottage is a traditional thatched Ulster-Scots farmhouse built in 1750s.

This cottage is one of about twelve cottages built in this style when there was an influx of lowland Scots people into S.E. Antrim. This cottage was built by the Donaldson family and lived in by them until 1979 when it was sold to Carrickfergus Borough Council.

It has been restored to its original state including an open fireplace with a daub and wattle canopy and hanging crane. The original Jackson cottage was demolished in 1860 to make way for the railway. The interior has been decorated as a traditional cottage with a dresser, sponge wear crockery and iron pots and griddles. The centre has an impressive exhibition on the life and career of Andrew Jackson (1767- 1845) 7th President of the United States of America whose parents emigrated from here in 1765.

In the grounds of the cottage is the US Rangers Centre, a museum dedicated to the men of the First Battalions of the elite American Army Unit the US Rangers that was first “activated” in Carrickfergus in 1942. The display includes documents, uniform and photographs and other material detailing this famous combat unit.

Look for the Blue Plaque about 50 metres to the west that marks the site of the original Jackson homestead.
NB. This map is based on the postcode and so may not reflect the exact location.

Prices:

Admission is FREE

Opening times:

Winter opening times Friday & Saturday 11.00am - 3.00pm

Contact Carrickfergus Tourist Information Centre for bookings and availability.

The nearest Tourist Information Centre is:

Carrickfergus Visitor Information Centre

Location / Directions

Boneybefore - Located less than a mile north from the town centre; off the Larne Road - Donaldson's Avenue
Are you the owner/manager of this business? Click here to update Are you the Product owner? Click here to submit updates.

Contact Details

2 Boneybefore
Carrickfergus
BT38 7EQ

Website:
www.carrickfergus.org
Email:
visitorinfo@carrickfergus.org
Tel: (028) 9335 8049
Fax: (028) 9335 0350