A bustling market town in County Down, Ballynahinch (from the Irish: Baile na hinse meaning “Townland of the island” or “Townland of the river meadow”) is one of the three largest towns in County Down, along with Newcastle and Downpatrick and lies in the heart of Drumlin Country (a drumlin is an elongated hill formed by glacial activity).
In recent years a regeneration committee has been formed for the development of the town and the surrounding areas and the town is twinned with Lamorlaye, France. The town’s market house was built in 1795 and is currently used by the community. Ballynahinch also has a small leisure centre.
Ballynahinch was founded by Sir George Rawdon in the 1600s and remained in the family's hands until the time of the rebellion of 1798. The Battle of Ballynahinch in 1798 ended the United Irishmen movement which was formed in 1791 with the aim of Irish independence from Great Britain.
Ballynahinch is classified as a Small Town by the NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA)
NB. As we do not have exact location information, this is a map of the local area.
Are you the Product owner?
to submit updates.