Tours and lectures are delivered by Walls Friends who have in-depth knowledge about the ancient City Walls; the Walls Friends also have a panel of specialists to call on to add further insights viz. archaeologists, historians, architects, geologists and engineers.
The Friends of the Derry Walls is a registered social enterprise established for public benefit to secure the preservation, protection and improvement of the historic defenses and city walls of Derry Londonderry. Our Mission is to be the voice of the Walls, raising ambitions for their care and presentation, driving public engagement with the Walls and ensuring that the Walls are fully exploited as a resource for educational, cultural and economic development. Our Vision is of the Derry Walls being celebrated as a monument of local, national and international significance, and being part of Derry Londonderry’s historical and future narratives.
The Walls Friends achieve this by:
• commissioning archaeological and historical research ,
• organising a volunteers programme,
• producing educational and interpretative materials,
• organising educational and training events,
• participating in national and international Walled Towns and Fortification networks.
The Members of the Walls Friends provide support in the form of an annual subscription, by donating time, knowledge and specialist skills and by demonstrating that the widest possible range of people think this cause to be worthwhile. In return you receive:
• A personal certificate of membership
• Free entry to an annual history lecture
• A members-only annual walk and talk about the Derry Walls
• Twice yearly members newsletter
• A annual free gift – Walls400 cotton shopper in 2016
• Special members discount on all Friends of the Derry Walls merchandise.
If interested in becoming a member of the Friends of the Derry Walls, see www.thederrywalls.com/getinvolved