Work began on this church in 1810 but it wasn’t completed until 1819. It was supposed to replace St. Patrick’s (on the hill), but the loyalty of part of the congregation to the older place of worship led to a schism within the Church of Ireland in Newry. This was not healed until 1866, when St. Patrick’s was completely rebuilt. The memorial tablets within the church record the lives and work of many of Newry’s prominent citizens. There is a tribute to a Dr Davis, the medical superintendent of the workhouse, who survived cholera during the famine. The Corry family is represented including Sir Trevor, Baron of Poland, who died in 1781 leaving £3000 to the poor of Newry. He also left £1000 for the building of St. Mary’s.
Galleried Regency Gothic church but with chancel remodelled and raised by Sir Thomas Drew to concur with high Victorian ideals. Immense east window (1884) commemorating the Rev. Beddell Swanzy. Later glass by Abbott and a richly coloured window by Clokey of Belfast.
UAHS Listed Building
NB. This map is based on the postcode and so may not reflect the exact location.
Location / Directions
In Newry town centre.
Are you the Product owner?
to submit updates.