Sixth Annual Maguire History Weekend
The Annual Maguire History Weekend presents an exciting and varied programme, exploring aspects of the Maguire history of Fermanagh, from castles and chalices to important historic sites, food and family history information.
The provisional programme for this year’s weekend includes the following:
• Tour of the Maguire stronghold at Enniskillen Castle, originally built over 600 years ago for Hugh ‘The Hospitable’ Maguire. Situated next to the River Erne, the Castle has been strategically important throughout its history. Guarding one of the few passes into Ulster, it became the seat of power for the ruling Maguire chieftains in Fermanagh. The remaining medieval features include the oldest rooms in Enniskillen.
• Tour of Devenish Island with its distinctive Round Tower. From the 6th century onwards, the Island became a place of great religious and spiritual importance as well as a burial place for a branch of the Maguire family.
• Talk on the fascinating story of the Maguire Chalices. There are records of 5 important chalices associated with the Maguires. This talk highlights the history of the chalices from their making to their current locations in Ireland, Scotland and Canada.
• Field trip to Sgiath Gabhra - the inauguration site of the Maguire chieftains of Fermanagh at Cornashee
• Field trips to important Maguire sites at Balfour Castle built on the site of a Maguire stronghold; the Maguire burial site at Aghalurcher Graveyard and Monea.Castle, built nearby the site of the first Castle constructed for Hugh ‘The Hospitable’ Maguire.
• A series of 10 minute one-to-one Family History Consultation Sessions. These are free-of-charge but will be allocated on a first-come basis to those who have booked for the weekend programme.
If you wish to make a provisional booking please contact museum for details.
To obtain a booking form please telephone: +44 (0)28 6632 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NB. This map is based on the postcode and so may not reflect the exact location.
Are you the Product owner?
to submit updates.