General information

The Priory

At the south east edge of Newtownards these substantial remains of a Dominican (Black) Friary founded in 1244 may be viewed. They are the only ones of their type in Northern Ireland. Built by the Savage family the buildings were destroyed by Sir Brian O'Neill to prevent English soldiers using them. Sir Hugh Montgomery restored the church in 1607 and added a small chapel but it fell into disrepair in the middle of the 18th-century. The Priory is currently not open to the public because of ongoing conservation work.

Opening times

The Priory is currently not open to the public because of ongoing conservation work.

Loading, please wait.

Things nearby

Gallery

Contact Information

  • Favourite

Attraction / Heritage/History

The Priory

Address
Court Street
Newtownards
County Down
BT23 7NY
Phone number
T: (028) 9082 3207
Email
Web Address
www.communities-ni.gov.uk/topics/historic-environment
Share this page on Facebook
Share this page on Twitter

View website

Special offers

Top