Wellbrook is nestled in an idyllic wooded valley. As you come over the hill and see the river, the mill, its water wheel and traditional cottage, it looks as if nothing could disturb the tranquillity. But it is not always so quiet! If you come to the mill when there is flax pulling you will find a hive of industry and when the beetling engines are running their thunder fills the valley.
• Last working beetling mill in Northern Ireland
• Hands-on demonstrations of the linen process, led by costumed guides
• Original hammer machinery, used to beat a sheen into cloth
• Clattering and cacophony of the beetles builds as the roll of linen is pounded
• Lovely walks and picnic opportunities by the Ballinderry River
• A truly unique experience
Visitor facilities –
Mill: Industrial heritage; Countryside; Shop; Guided tours; Suitable for picnics; Country walk; Programme of events; Access for visitors with disability (limited); Facilities for families; Learning; Dogs welcome on leads in grounds/garden only.
• Limited access for visitors with disabilities.
See Information tab for Opening Times and Prices.
NB. This map is based on the postcode and so may not reflect the exact location.
Opening times:Admission by guided tour (last admission one hour before closing). Open Bank Holiday Mondays and all other public holidays in Northern Ireland.
2014 Opening Times:
3 July - 31 August Thu - Sun 2 to 5pm
6 September - 28 September Sat & Sun 2 to 5pm
2015 Opening Times:
14 March - 27 September Sat & Sun 2 to 5pm
Prices:2014 Admission (Gift Aid On Entry):
2015 Admission (Gift Aid On Entry):
Location / Directions
Bus: Ulsterbus No. 90 from Cookstown, request stop at Kildress, 0.5 miles walk.
Cycle: On NCN route 95.
Car: 4 miles from Cookstown, follow signs from A505 Cookstown to Omagh road.
Drive time: Cookstown 5 mins.
Are you the Product owner?
to submit updates.