Skip Navigation Links
Newry CathedralCreggan Parish Church

Christian Heritage (Mournes)

...

Places To Visit

Killevy (Killeavy) Old Churches, Newry

The site contains two early churches situated back to back. Even earlier, it was the site of a monastery founded by St. Moninna (517) as one of the most important monasteries for nuns in Medieval Ireland.

Newry Cathedral of St. Patrick and St. Colman, Newry

This is undoubtedly the most commanding building in Newry and is arguably the most important work executed by Newry's greatest native architect, Thomas Duff. Built in 1829 of local granite at a cost of £8,000, it was the first Catholic Cathedral.

Drumena Cashel, Castlewellan

Good example of a small stone built farmstead enclosure or cashel of the early Christian period, in an area with many cashels. Inside is a souterrain (accessible): stone built underground passage for refuge in times of trouble.

Maghera Church And Round Tower, Newcastle

Maghera Church and Round Tower is of major historical importance and is among many important heritage sites throughout County Down.

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Banbridge

Holy Trinity Parish Church, Church of Ireland, is located in Church Square, Banbridge.
Sunday Services - 08.30 Communion; 10.30 Morning Prayer and Sunday School; 18.30 Evening Prayer.
Wednesday - 10.30 Holy Communion.

Saint Patricks Roman Catholic Church, Banbridge

Saint Patricks Roman Catholic Church is located on Dromore Street, Banbridge.
Sunday Masses - 10.00 and 11.30.

Saint Marys Parish Church, Newry

" Galleried Regency Gothic church but with chancel remodelled and raised by Sir Thomas Drew to concur with high Victorian ideals. Immense east window (1884) commemorating the Rev. Beddell Swanzy. Later glass by Abbott and a richly coloured ( ...

Donaghmore High Cross (County Down), Banbridge

19th century high cross in the grounds of Donaghmore Church of Ireland in County Down.

Dromore Cathedral (Church of Ireland), Dromore

The Cathedral stands on the site where Saint Colman built his first church of ‘daub and wattle’ around 514AD.

Kilbroney Graveyard, Rostrevor, Newry

'Cill Bhronaigh', or Bronagh’s Church (12th century), is located in the graveyard just outside Rostrevor on the Hilltown Road. The graveyard contains Saint Bronagh’s Cross, dating from the late 8th century and a ruined 15th century building.

Creggan Parish Church, Graveyard and Visitors Centre, Crossmaglen, Newry

The church on this site was probably founded with the arrival of the O’Neills around 1450, who built their castle at Glassdrummond.

Mournes News

 

Did You Know?