St George's Market in Belfast
Stallholders across Northern Ireland turn out at regular markets to sell their wares, from artisan food and crafts to records and antiques.
Here are some of the best.
St George’s Market, Belfast
The best market in the UK, according to Observer Food Monthly Awards 2016.
Belfast’s historic St George’s Market is where much of the best local food produce is gathered under one roof – from fresh fish, fruit and vegetables to huge sod farls and ‘Belfast baps’, Suki Tea and Broughgammon goat's meat.
The glass roofed Victorian building is also home to clothes, vinyl, bric-a-brac, arts and crafts and memorabilia.
Dock Market, Belfast
Located at the Odyssey Pavilion, the Dock Market displays unique handmade gifts and local produce. It takes place every second and fourth Saturday in the month, from 11am - 5pm.
With 20 stalls to choose from, you will find a selection of scented candles, jewellery, bags and chocolates to beautiful local artisan breads, cupcakes, gourmet waffles and freshly baked foods.
This quirky market has a great mix of stalls and a great atmosphere with live music and entertainment to keep children amused.
Belfast Flea Market
Held on the first Sunday of every month at the Black Box in Belfast, this flea market takes place from October to May (1-6pm).
Showcasing all things second hand with style, this market has stalls selling vintage clothing, shoes, furniture, antiques books and records. The added live music and food stalls make for a good day out.
Raceview Mill Market, Broughshane
In a massive covered hall, the Raceview Mill Market is one of the largest food and indoor craft market outside St George’s Market in Belfast.
Held on the last Saturday of every month you can enjoy over 100 stalls of local food and craft producers.
Mourne Market, Newcastle
Highlighting the best of local food, drink and craft producers, the indoor Mourne Market presents the work of local independent artists, designers, illustrators and crafters alongside stalls with books, vintage wares and quality food and drink produce.
Ulster Farmers' Markets
Farm Shops & Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
Many rural areas are served by innovative farm shops – Chapman of Portadown, McKee’s in Newtownards and Cloughbane Farm Shop, County Tyrone.
All offer a mouth watering array of homemade bread, pastries, prepared meals, fresh vegetables and specialty meats. Farm shops are also selling prepared dishes such as the herby marinated shanks or shepherds pies made by Cloughbane Farm Shop.
- Michel’s Fruit & Veg, Belfast, Co Antrim
- Ballylagan Organic Farm Shop, Ballyclare, Co Antrim
- Hillstown Farm Shop, Randalstown Co Antrim
- Chapman’s Farm Fresh, Portadown, Co Armagh
- Homegrown, Newtownards, Co Down
- McKee’s Farm Shop, Newtownards, Co Down
- Helen’s Bay Organic Gardens Helen’s Bay, Co Down
- Horner's Farm Shop, Comber, Co Down
- Windwhistle Farm, Comber, Co Down
- O'Malley's Farm Shop, Newry, Co Down
- Gillen’s Greengrocers, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh
- Moss-Brook Farm Shop, Desertmartin, Co Londonderry
- The White Goose Tearoom & Farmshop Garvagh, Co Londonderry
- Claggan Pick Your Own Fruit Farm, Limavady, Co Londonderry
- Cloughbane Farm Shop, Dungannon, Co Tyrone
One of the best ways to experience authentic Northern Irish speciality foods is to visit one of the Farmer’s markets that take place all over the province. These are great places to see, taste, and talk to artisan producers about local food and drink.
- City Food & Garden Market at St George’s Market, Belfast, (every Saturday)
- Causeway Speciality Market, Coleraine, Co Londonderry, (second Saturday of the month)
- Tyrone Farmers' Market, Dungannon & Omagh, Co Tyrone, (first and third Saturday of every month)
- Comber Farmers' Market, St Mary’s Church Car Park, The Square, Comber, County Down (first Thursday of the month) - February to December
- Templepatrick Farmers' Market at Colmans Garden Centre, County Antrim (last Sunday of every month)
- Strabane Farmers' Market, Co Tyrone, (last Saturday of every month)
- Walled City Market, Guildhall Square, Derry~Londonderry, (first Saturday of every month) - February to November
- Inns Markets, Newtownbreda, Belfast (last Saturday of each month)
- Folktown Market, Bank Square, Belfast (every Thursday) 16 April to 17 December