General information

Bonamargy Friary
Bonamargy Friary
Bonamargy Friary

Bonamargy Friary was built close to the mouth of the Carey and Shesk rivers by Rory MacQuillan in 1500. The rival MacDonnell clan fought for and claimed the friary from the MacQuillans in 1588. The cloister, gatehouse, altar and church are well preserved except for the thatch roof. There are many interesting features including the east window, a staircase and a sealed burial vault. The coffins of several Earls of Ulster and chieftain, Sorley Boy MacDonnell, lie within.

Open access all year.

Opening times

Open access all year round.

Price list

Admission Free.

Facilities

  • Free (parking charges may apply)

View all

Facilities

Facilities

  • Free (parking charges may apply)
Loading, please wait.

Things nearby

Gallery

Contact Information

  • Favourite

Attraction / Heritage/History

Bonamargy Friary

Address
Off Ballycastle/Cushendall Coast Road
Ballycastle
County Antrim
BT54 6QP
Phone number
T: (028) 9082 3207
Email
Web Address
www.communities-ni.gov.uk/topics/historic-environment
Share this page on Facebook
Share this page on Twitter

View website

Special offers

Top