On the approach to Enniskillen from Belfast there is a view of the river and a number of old columns rising from the water. These are the remains of the Weir’s Bridge - a railway bridge which took its name from Scarlet’s eel weirs nearby.
The bridge carried the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway across the River Erne from the Great Northern Railway Station at Enniskillen to the Midland Great Western Railway near Ballisodare in County Sligo.
The bridge was removed in the 1960s after the closure of the railway in 1957.
The Railway Bridge