General information

The Shipyard Area (Heritage Trail)

The area along the riverfront from Sainsbury's car park to Bay Road was the shipyard in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The most well known builder was Captain William Coppin who built many ships, including the 'Great Northern' the first screw propelled ship built in Ireland. Ownership of the shipyard changed hands a number of times after Coppin and eventually closed in the depression of 1928 when it was owned by Swan Hunter Ltd. During the Second World War the area was used as a ship repair yard by Harland & Wolff for the numerous allied navy ships that were based in the city.

Loading, please wait.

Things nearby


Contact Information

  • Favourite

Attraction / Heritage/History

The Shipyard Area (Heritage Trail)

Phone number
T: (028) 7126 7284

Special offers